If your Peanut Butter Dashboard shows that a payment was recently Paid, and you have received a Payment Confirmation email, but you don't see a payment in your student loan account, here's what to do:
- Login to your loan servicer's website and take a screenshot of the payment history for 120 days prior to the date you received the Payment Confirmation email.
- Check the payment history for an "early payment". If you received a Payment Confirmation email on the 27th of the month for $50, it's possible that your loan servicer recorded the payment as much as 14 days earlier, so you might see a $50 payment effective as early as the 13th of the month.
- Check the payment history for "piggybacking". Piggybacking is when two loan payments are recorded together. If you paid $100 toward the loan and your employer contributed $50 on the same day, your loan servicer might piggyback them and record a single payment of $150.
- Check the payment history for a "disbursement reduction". Many loan servicers will apply a disbursement reduction for any payments received within 120 days of an additional disbursement. For example, if you had $10,000 in loans with Navient, then received an additional $2,500 loan (disbursement) on May 1st your end-of-day balance would show as $12,500 on May 1st. However, if your employer contributes $50 toward your account on June 27th, it might be recorded as a disbursement reduction whereby your end-of-day balance on May 1st would show as $12,450.
- Check your loan servicer's site 5 business days later in case there's a "late posting". Sometimes loan servicers are delayed in posting payments due to holidays, staffing, or other reasons. When late posting occurs, the payment is slow to show up in your payment history, but it will typically be effective several days earlier. For example. you might receive your Payment Confirmation from Peanut Butter on the 27th of the month, but the loan servicer experiences a late posting, so the payment doesn't show up in the history of your loan account (on the servicer's website) until the 30th of the month but shows up with an effective date of the 25th.
If you need more help, let us know. The best way to request support is to email the screenshot of your payment history to firstname.lastname@example.org.